Friday, March 11, 2011

"Measure A Life"

"Measure A Life"

by Alexa Leigh Corbett on Friday, 25 February 2011 at 22:59
“Measure A Life”
February 25, 2011

Since the beginning of this year
A few more things have been more clear
I understand the reason for some fights
And I’m embracing god-given rights

Every moment of everyday is a choice
And for too long, I ignored my own voice
But grown now, and standing set aside
I’ve pushed past the parts I wanted to hide

Parents wanting what they think is best
Children become adults just like the rest
With minds conditioned to challenge free thought
Parents in battles about things they forgot

In regards to love, it’s never fair
And a great excuse is still a dare
As age catches me by surprise
I too, see how time just flies

Each day further from childhood past
Closer to midlife, it’s getting close fast
 These new memories that I store
Makes  me beg and hope the world for more

These days now, I know are the highlight
Of a life lived and enjoyed right
Now is the time to follow your heart
Before time ages it and the world tears it apart

There’s a part of me deep down
That enjoys the beauties of a small town
And one day, I’ll go to one and live out my days
When skin wrinkles and my hair grays

 But for now, that adventurous spirit wanders still
Taking risks just for the rush of a thrill
Gazing at summer night skies, staying out late
Embarking upon the scenic route, the office can wait

Certain things in life people somehow forget
Like the joys of dancing in pouring rain, getting wet
Or seeing a rainbow stretch across clear skies
It’s enjoying the world, that makes people wise

Stop now then, to breathe the air
Smelling the scents present there
Smile at a stranger, Remember a moment treasured
It’s in these ways, life is measured

No comments:

Post a Comment